The English sauce, also known as Worcestershire sauce, Perrins sauce or Worcester sauce is a fermented liquid sauce that is usually used to enhance the flavor of other sauces such as, for example, pink sauce, or , to dress different dishes both raw and cooked. These include beef and chicken meat, as well as the César salad . Let’s go for the recipe!
- 250 ml of water
- 125 ml of molasses
- 500 ml of white vinegar
- 125 ml of soy sauce
- 2 salted anchovies
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1 ginger tip
- ½ tablespoon pink pepper
- ½ tablespoon of cinnamon powder
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon of cloves
- ½ tablespoon cardamom
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
Step by step development
1. To make homemade English sauce , you will have to peel the garlic cloves and crush them with a mortar with a little salt.
2. Peel the onion and crush it in the processor and place it in a casserole with the garlic cloves.
3. Bring to the fire and add the cinnamon powder, black pepper, pink pepper, mustard, clove, soy sauce, cardamom, molasses and vinegar .
4. Stir with a wooden spoon and add the grated ginger tip.
5. Crush the anchovies with a pinch of salt and curry . Dilute in water and add it to the casserole. Let reduce for 20 minutes.
6. Crush the sauce and strain. Place it in a bowl and let stand for at least two weeks, stirring occasionally.
We recommend you read : Dutch sauce, step-by-step recipe
Did you know that the original sauce was launched in England in 1837? This was marketed under the brand Lea & Perrins and the formula for its elaboration continues to be a great secret, but what is known is that it has an aging in wooden barrels of a year and a half.
If you liked this Worcestershire sauce recipe , leave your comments and share it on social networks. To learn more similar preparations, check out the category Sauces .