Amatriciana sauce is one of those sauces of few ingredients, but with a strong flavor . The key to the sauce is in basil, also called basilic, royal herb or kings’ herb. For some religions it is a sacred plant, used in both rituals and spells.
The first time I tried a basil sauce was a few years ago in Rome. The sauce was very simple: only tomato, basil and salt, but noticing both the taste of basil in that dish has convinced me that it is a very compact combination. Amatriciana sauce is based on the combination of tomato and basil . The mozzarella di bufala is one of the favorites of the Italians: light and soft, an ideal accompaniment for this hot and refreshing dish at the same time . A simple sauce, but very, very nice.
Processing time: 25-30 minutes
Servings: 2 people
- 350 gr noodles
- 300 ml fried tomato
- 1 mozzarella buffalo
- 3 basil leaves – or a spoon of sauce pesto –
- 150 gr bacon in strips
- 1/2 chopped onion
- Olive oil, salt
- Parmesan powder and dried oregano, to decorate
Step by step development
- We put the pasta to boil.
- Cut the onion and the bacon – if you don’t buy it directly into strips.
- Sauté the bacon with the onion.
- Once they are fried, add the tomato.
- Cut the buffalo cheese into dice.
- We add the cheese to the pan.
- We add the cut basil and a teaspoon of salt – instead of basil you can use a spoon of pesto sauce , since it is a very rich sauce with a lot of basil flavor–.
- We mix occasionally until all the cheese is melted in the sauce . If you do not mix the cheese will stick to the pan.
- As soon as the pasta is boiled, we drain it and add it to the sauce.
- Mix the pasta in the sauce and let it boil for about 3 minutes so that the sauce is impregnated in the pasta .
At the table
There is no better accompaniment to pasta than Parmesan cheese, both to get a good decoration and taste. Being the amatriciana sauce a refreshing sauce, I have added oregano on top; thus it has even more Mediterranean appearance and flavor .