When you feel like eating a good meal, try cooking these delicious vegan lentil meatballs made with red lentils and mushrooms. Also with flax seeds, which are a great source in Omega 3. This recipe is perfect to serve with pasta or with your favorite sauce.
You may also be interested in: Apple pie recipe suitable for coeliacs and vegans
- 2 cups of red lentils
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 225 g sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup finely ground flax seeds
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- Salt and ground black pepper
Step by step development
1. In a large pot combine red lentils, vegetable broth, garlic and onions; Let it boil.
2. Lower the heat and let the lentils simmer covered for 25 minutes or until soft.
3 Remove from heat and mash well with a fork or pass-through.
4. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat and add the mushrooms and thyme and sauté the mushrooms until they are soft, for about 6 minutes.
5. In a food processor or blender combine half of the lentils with mushrooms, nutritional yeast and flax seeds, and process until smooth.
6. Add the processed mixture to the remaining lentil mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until they are well integrated.
7. Gradually add gluten-free flour, one tablespoon at a time until the mixture comes together. Let the mixture reach room temperature before forming balls.
8. Place some oil in a pan and fry the vegan lentil meatballs until golden brown on all sides, approximately 4 minutes. Repeat until all the balls are cooked.
- When you add gluten-free flour, just add enough to keep the mixture together.
- Although some people prefer to cook vegan lentil meatballs in the sauce of your choice , it is better to first skip them in the pan so that they do not fall apart in the sauce.
- The mixture of vegan meatballs can be prepared up to one day in advance. Then, you just have to form the balls and cook them.
- These vegan lentil meatballs are very easy to prepare and you can enjoy them in several ways: on spaghetti with homemade red sauce or bought at the supermarket, in sandwich bread or alone.